Wednesday 15 August 2012

Just an assumption


39 degrees?
You’ve got to be kidding, right?
But that’s what the forecast tells me it’s going to be, tomorrow. Wow, that's warm.
Oh good. I know, let’s go out for the evening, as today is a national holiday - although I have no idea why. I didn’t realise either, until I had worked an 8 hour day writing fiction. But the night is young.
In the local town there is an Oyster festival, which sounds great. Not just Oysters either, but loads of other things like paella and mussels, it’s a feast of feasts. There’ll be wine too. Then there is an outdoor music festival nearby, where we can dance barefoot till dawn.
39 degrees? Are you sure?
Then, hang on, why is it raining? Yukky drizzle putting a dampener on things. You never mentioned that. It hasn’t rained for 2 weeks and, according to the forecast, won’t for another two.
I just looked up the reason it is a holiday today. ASSUMPTION – that’s the reason.
It means Theory, or Best Guess, according to the thesaurus.
That seems about right to me.
Weather forecasters – please never assume? Even in France it can rain on bank holidays.  

No comments:

Post a Comment